zondag 9 februari 2014

Tamara's first three years with the Bauer family

Op verzoek van opa en oma heeft ook Tamara een verhaal geschreven over haar eerste jaren in ons gezin, natuurlijk in het engels:

My story started January 3, 2011 when a tall boy walked into our program at Glendale School. I was working as an alternate supervisor for the school age program there and this boy whose name was Patrick Bauer was to be my assistant. I thought it was pretty cool to be working with a boy in child care as they could help discipline and have that “rough house” play attitude with the kids. Also they could be a positive male role model for the kids which some of them needed someone to look up to. Well, the kids instantly fell in love with Patrick’s easy going personality and I got to know Patrick and his story of coming to another country when he was 16 years old. I had always wanted to travel to Europe and see the cultures overseas as I knew Canada was only a tiny piece of the world. Every day Patrick and I’s relationship grew and grew, we were the best of friends… what they call inseparable. I enjoyed working with him every day and building an amazing program that the kids also looked forward too. Well Patrick asked me if I would come home and meet his parents… now I have to say that this is a pretty big step for me and I was super nervous. When I met Frank and Yvonne though, I found out where Patrick got his great personality and easy going attitude from. I instantly loved his parents and found them to be genuine people. They made me feel at home in their own home. Patrick and I started dating at the end of July, we are not sure of a date as it kind of just “happened.”  We continued to talk about Europe and Patrick, Frank and Yvonne shared their stories of travelling to countries for basketball games, family trips, or even just day trips. It made my curiosity stronger and stronger. In January 2012, we both were struggling with work and being happy and knowing where our place was in the world. So we decided to make an almost 6 month tour in Europe leaving March 6, 2012. We booked our flight and I was a nervous wreck for a week until the feeling finally settled in. I would be meeting Patrick’s family. I would be going to where Patrick was born and raised for 16 years of his life. I would see where my in-law family came from. When we first arrived we were welcomed by Oma and Opa, and was I ever glad as I had heard a lot about Oma and Opa and it was someone familiar to Patrick and I felt safe. They drove us to Twello. I have to say this experience was really out of my comfort zone, the moment we stepped off the plane, I saw a different language, a lot of people and a busy environment. Something completely different from my home in Alberta. I was lucky enough that we were visiting, but Frank, Yvonne and Patrick are strong people for moving to another country and overcoming the challenges they were about to face. I think the most frustrating obstacle they faced while I had been part of the family for the last 3 years, was Yvonne’s struggle with her education. She is one of the most qualified people I have ever met and is truly gifted with children. They instantly love her, her love for art and her love for being active. She is someone the kids look up to and look forward to seeing Yvonne coming into their programs. Red Deer College had her do numerous tests for her English to show that it was good enough which she passed showing that she was good enough. But yet the struggle was still there and that wasn’t proof enough. She had meetings with the college and the outcome was she would have to start at the beginning again. I was very disappointed. I wish every country had the same transfers as she is more than qualified for a Child Development Supervisor here in Canada.
But to continue on with our journey in Europe, there were days I got homesick and could have jumped back on a plane to head home. Frank, Yvonne and Patrick missed their lives in Holland, but decided to stay which has shown their strength, determination, and make a new life here in Canada. It has rewarded them all after being here for 5 years; Frank now being the Executive Director for CARE, Yvonne being a Senior Administrative Assistant and Patrick being in the Cook Apprentice Program and being a Cook at Cilantro and Chive in Ponoka. They showed me the strength of staying here in Canada for all this time and I knew I could stay in Europe for the almost 6 months. It was the best decision I ever made, that we ever made together. We got to experience so many different adventures and firsts that I will never forget and have 6 scrapbooks to show our amazing trip together forever. I not only helped support Frank, Yvonne and Patrick during their struggles in Canada, but they helped me in many areas, like when I was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease as it was going to change my life forever. They supported me by eating my diet, being shoulders to cry on and lending me their ears to share my bad days and what I wanted in my life. I was here for their bad days and they were here for my bad days. I couldn’t have asked for a better second family. A family that loves me for me and a family that welcomed me like I was one of their own. They are a truly and amazing strong family and together we can handle anything that comes our way… as family always sticks together. I cannot wait to experience the next 5 years and the 5 years after that and after that and so on together. 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten